Friday, August 17, 2012

After the Honeymoon

I've been painting. I've been actually quite good about journaling and making things. Still not where I want to be, but worlds better than before. I thought maybe I should look for another online workshop. I discovered there are a zillion of these things. Many that are similar to what I just took. I can't imagine that many people really want to learn how to paint a pretty girl. I didn't take one of those classes, but so many of them are like, "Hey you funky, arty, hippie lady, come learn how to paint and at the same time you can solve the mystery of finding your purpose and heal all your wounds and be a completely fulfilled person!" Barf!

I believe in that, I really do, but looking at it marketed directly to you as a shiny product is kind of gross. I feel cheap and dirty. Also, I discovered that many people get addicted to taking class after class. They are obviously searching for something they will not find by emulating someone else's art. But just the same, they are obviously getting something out of taking all these classes. Maybe they just feel like they are doing something by signing up. A few people admitted to sometimes not even getting around to doing the work. I feel bad blogging about other people's business like this, but it affected me. Squashed my mojo a little bit.

I don't want to drown myself in other people's style and not be able to find myself under all those layers. However, I don't want to hide from what is out there. I love being inspired by soaking up art. I like finding new techniques and tools and new ways to use them. I just don't want to rely on jumping from teacher to teacher. It's a fine line, I suppose. One needs the community for support and the amazing networking opportunities. However, it sometimes can be too much and become a thing, in and of itself, without much backbone. I'm going to spend some time just creating and challenging myself to see what I can come up with. I guess I'm surprised that my further foray into art has inadvertently made me feel like more of a consumer when my goal was to be productive. As the worn out adage says, there are two sides to every coin.

No comments:

Post a Comment