Friday, April 1, 2011

Carpet Bag

I made this bag out of a rug I had that started unraveling.  I loved the rug and didn't want to chuck it.  It took me forever to decide what shape to make the bag.  As in, it's been on my to-make list for about 8 years.  I decided I just wanted to fit my big sketchbook/journal in it and sewed onward without a full plan.  It's always so hard for me to decide when to stop designing and just go forward.  After a while it's pretty futile anyway, because things always come up during the construction.  I'll have a new idea, or something works well or doesn't.  A trim will call to me.. I just love the process.  It's such a conversation.  I couldn't wait to use it, so I didn't even sew up the hole in the lining for turning.  Just filled it up and went out.  Still need to stitch that up!  It has an inner pocket, magnetic snap, detachable strap (salvaged hardware from a purse strap I scrounged from a friend's Goodwill pile) and little round silver studs for fun.  Red taffeta lining $1/yd from the outdoor sale at Fabric Depot, and parts of the belt of my grandma's old rain jacket.







These pictures kind of suck, but I just wanted to get them up.

No comments:

Post a Comment